Friday 30 April 2010

Philosophy cafe interrupted?

When I went to Nook on 21 April (third Wed of the month), I found it closed. There was a blackboard notice saying it is closed for normal business but available for special bookings. My apologies to anyone who went there and found it closed.

I do not know if the situation is temporary or permanent. I shall find out and update readers accordingly.

I have been running this philosophy cafe since October 2003. Some participants have suggested I conduct it at a more convenient venue. I have so far resisted the suggestion. I had two reasons. The relatively isolated and quiet venue of Nook is more conducive for philosophical discussion. More importantly, I was not confident I had found the right format for my philosophy cafe sessions. Now, after trying many formats over the past six years, I am at last confident of my format. So perhaps it is time to expand.

Philosophy cafe is not a fixed place. It is a concept and an event. Therefore, it is portable. If anyone knows of a suitable place, please let me know. If anyone has a group which would like to experience philosophising, please let me know. I can be contacted via comments on this blog, or through my email (link is on the left margin of this blog).

Please visit this blog again for updates on philosophy cafe sessions -- and other interesting posts.

2 comments:

Christopher Ng Wai Chung said...

You have my support for a change in venue, man ! There is this place at Bach road area called Blue Jaz, maybe you can try contacting them for this.

I'm trying to give a talk there on May 19th 2010.

R7 said...

Hi,

I attended your discussios some months ago, and may I suggest an alternative venue - for your consideration, please,...

..that is over at the Republic of Singapore Yacht Club - West Coast Ferry Road ?

I am a member there,..

Bigger space,...open view of the sea and industry...

watdaya think ?
Thanks

W2